Students must do a lot more than just turn in assignments and pass exams. They also have to find out how to use resources and deal with deadlines. It’s important to know what practices you can put into place now to ensure academic success. I will be sharing five tips for you (student) to ensure academic success. I will be doing this in two parts. I will be sharing two best practices in today’s blog and the others in the next blog for easy reading.
Be Proactive and Organized to Save Time and Stress.
Your future is bright! You have the opportunity to achieve academic success if you’re organized and proactive. Starting at the beginning of your college career it is your responsibility to follow these best practices that will help you achieve academic success.
- Study Time Management: You’ve probably heard that study time management is important for a student, but what does this really mean? Simply put, study time management means taking responsibility for your time in order to plan and carry out your schedule effectively. It also involves planning how you’ll use your time; understanding how long different assignments require and how much time you need to complete them; and making a schedule for completing them. It also involves having a balance between work and fun.
- Self-Discipline: Self-discipline involves making a commitment to do something, following through on it, and seeing it through to completion, even when it’s not easy or convenient. Self-discipline is essential for academic success because no matter what subject you’re studying, the work involved takes hard work, perseverance, and determination. Self-discipline can also help you overcome procrastination which I believe is the grandfather of failures.
- Being Organized: Being organized not only allows you to find what you need when you need it but also allows you to focus on doing your work instead of searching endlessly for misplaced papers or reference material. A daily planner will be handy in being organized. So get one.
Getting Enough Sleep is Important.
Sleep is important for all students, and as a result, it’s vital to ensure you are getting enough sleep if you want to be successful in school. Getting enough quality sleep will help increase your ability to study and retain information. Here are some tips that can help you get the sleep you need to have academic success:
- Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. This will keep your body’s internal clock on a consistent schedule and lessen the chance that you will fall asleep while studying or in class.
- Avoid technology before bedtime. The light from computers and other electronic devices can affect your circadian rhythm and make it difficult to fall asleep at night. Try reading a book or listening to soft music instead of watching TV or surfing the web before going to bed.
- Exercise regularly during the day, but don’t work out too close to bedtime. Exercising is a great way to help you relax, but if you exercise too close to bedtime, it can make it difficult for you to fall asleep because it increases your heart rate and blood pressure.
Continue reading here